Tuesday, March 15, 2011

New Mariners Ads Are Up - Slogan Hysterically Stupid.

Seattle Mariners, "Ready to Play". It's almost as ridiculous as the slogan from the mid 80's "Hit it again".  I mean, well, 'duh'.  That they're 'Ready to Play' doesn't inspire visions of historic achievement, but after being one of the worst teams in the history of baseball, I guess you need to take baby steps, eh?

But putting that aside, the M's have their new crop of ads out - available on MLB.com - and you really have to hand it to Kevin Martinez, Jim Copacino and whomever else may have pitched in - they do some pretty funny ads year to year. I particularly liked "Encore" with Felix although I had to watch it twice because I was mesmerized by the size of Eric Wedge's stomach on first watch. I also thought the "Painful" one was well executed, and registered on the "had to be said" level in addressing just how bad 2010 was.  Well done.

That said, I hope to never see Fister's acting career once he leaves baseball.  My God, how uncomfortable does he look in that commercial?

The one thing that always makes me a little nervous is each year you watch these ads and you know with certainty that several of the featured players won't be around by the end of the season. I mean, how hard was it to watch that Ryan Rowland Smith ad from last year knowing that he was in AAA?  I watch these and wonder which commercial will be obsolete first.  My bet - it's the Fister/Vargas one. Something's gotta give there.

But head over and take a look and talk them up or down in the comments or over at the Facebook page - I'm interested to hear what you all think.

Go M's.

No comments: