Somehow, Pineiro flying off the board created pitching scarcity in people's minds, which is an experimental Psychology PhD dissertation in waiting on it's own.
But I digress...
Why should the Mariners sign Jarrod Washburn? I've read all sorts of doozies:
- Team player
- Nice guy
- "Takes the ball every 5th day and gives you his best"
Why the Mariners won't sign Jarrod Washburn:
- Age: 35. Regression is a bitch
- Health: You're 35 and you have bum knees. You haven't reached 200 innings pitched since 2003. Time to bust out the fishing pole.
- Cost. $5-6 million bucks for a 1-1.5 WAR pitcher is dumb when it bumps a cheaper 1-1.5 WAR pitcher from the rotation. Jack Z isn't dumb.
- Performance. Yeah, his knee was a mess, but holy God the Detroit debacle was funny. If even twice that guy showed up in 2010, that pitcher would still suck. 1-3 and a 7.33 ERA over however many starts is just...well... stinky.
- Jack Z doesn't have emotional short term memory like so many Mariner fans do.